Regular repeated examination leads to early diagnosis, provide better prognosis and cure!
From the very beginning, the Association has worked very hard to convey to the community the importance of prevention and early detection of the breast cancer as the utmost efficient way to increase cancer survivorship.
In order to support this awareness campaign, OCA opened a Clinical Breast Examination (CBE) unit that provides free screening services to all women regardless of their nationality or age. This service is complemented with an ultra-sound equipment that allows the health specialist a more in-depth exploration whenever it is required.
Going one-step further, OCA created the Self Breast Examination (SBE) program, in order to train women how to perform a self-exploration, thus empowering them to take care of their own health. This program addresses important issues such as the frequency this self-examination should be done, what’s the best time of the month to do it, what are the alarm signals and how does a lump feels like, amongst others.
Years back breast cancer was a reality that mainly affected women over 40 years of age. However, the latest cancer information demonstrates that women as young as teenagers are nowadays also prone to develop breast cancer. Therefore, OCA has designed a Self Breast Examination (SBE) program to be implemented all over Oman in government and private schools to teenage girls from 10th to 12th grades. Through this program, the Association is looking at developing a healthy habit from early age, which hopefully will also influence women surrounding these girls.
• Increase the number of stage 1 breast cancer detection
• Offer free breast screening services to all women regardless of their nationality or age.
• Empower women to take care of their own health through the Self Breast Examination
• Outpatients Breast Cancer Clinics have shown a decline in grade 2, 3 and 4, and an increase by 36 percent of patients in grade 1.
• A histopathology study showed a decline in the late breast cancer stages reporting and more in grade 1 cancers.
• Implement the Self Breast Examination program across Oman in government and private schools to girls from 10th to 12th grade. Please get in touch with us if you would like to know more about this program and how to implement it in your school.