From the very beginning, the Association has worked very hard to convey to the community the importance of prevention and early detection of the breast cancer as the utmost efficient way to increase breast cancer survivorship.
In order to support the campaign, OCA opened in 2013 a free clinic for women of all ages, Clinical Breast Examination (CBE) where it provides free screening services to all women regardless of their nationality or age. This service is facilitated with ultrasound equipment that allows the health specialist a more in-depth exploration when required.
Furthermore, OCA created the Self Breast Examination (SBE) program, in order to train women on how to perform a self-exploration, thus empowering them to take care of their own health. OCA notes the need to reduce the waiting period for women who need ultrasound to confirm the state of their breast lesion before biopsy. Hence the ultrasound was organized and reduced the waiting time to one day.
The budget for the ultrasound was purchased through the coffee for cancer program where OCA organized awareness programs to a number of co-operate and private companies that raised the funds to purchase the ultrasound. During this visit SBE was introduced to the employees.
- To identify breast lesion as early as possible
- To do CBE and SBE training
- Offer free breast screening services to all women regardless of their nationality or age.
- Empower women to take care of their own health through the Self Breast Examination
- Outpatients Breast Cancer Clinics have shown a decline in grade 2, 3 and 4, and an increase by 36 percent of patients in grade 1.
- A histopathology study showed a decline in the late breast cancer stages reporting and more in grade 1 cancers.
- Implement the Self Breast Examination program across Oman in government and private schools to girls from 10th to 12th