Oman Cancer Association’s Mobile Mammography Unit (MMU) provides free breast cancer screening for women over the age of 40. The MMU goes around the Sultanate twice a year to reach the maximum number of the community. All suspected cases are fast tracked towards the specialists for consultation. This is one of the projects that have been making a difference in terms of helping with early diagnosis and also cementing awareness at the grass root level. This program is one of its kinds in Oman and was the first screening service by a nongovernmental non-for-profit organization in the gulf. To date it has screened more than 21.519 women since its launch in November 2009. It has won HM first class Award for Public Service to the community in 2011 and also the 2nd class award for the United Nation Public Service Award in the Gender Section. It reduces the waiting period from weeks to 4 days.
- Offers Free Breast screening service.
- Reach and support all women over the age of 40 years, all over Oman regardless of their nationality or religion.
- Create awareness for cancer not on the move.
- Support women below 40 years of age who have a breast lesion to get early consultation.
- Over 21,519 women around Oman have benefited from a free mammography.
- Suspected cases received immediate treatment, followed by advocacy to reduce waiting list and thus suffering.
- Outpatients Breast Cancer Clinics have shown a decline in grade 2, 3 and 4, and an increase by 36 percent of patients in grade 1.
- A histopathology study showed a decline in the late breast cancer stages reporting and more in grade 1 cancers.
- Screening program and awareness program